Thursday, February 18, 2010

progressing, one hand at a time

It's been a while since I posted any updates on my workouts or progress. I'm still chugging along with my mixtures of traditional strength training and crossfit (on different days). In some areas I've seen progress, in other areas, well, not so much.

One "lift" that seems to be stuck is pullups. Despite working them regularly as part of crossfit, I'm still grinding out reps 7-8 on the first set, 6-7 on the second, and 4-5 on the third. It feels like the last time I added a rep to pullups, Dubyah was still in the White House.

That's rep count. Two other measures, though, give me hope. First, I'm getting stronger at weighted pullups. Twenty pounds used to be a struggle. It's still a struggle, but less so.

Second, I've doubled the reps I can do on "one-handed" pullups. (They aren't one-handed, really: the "free" hand is around the wrist of the gripping hand.) Granted, doubling means going from 2 to 4 on the right hand, and 1 to 2 on the left hand.

Which just goes to show: progress can be glacial, and it can be inconsistent. But any progress is better than no progress at all. I'll take it.

b strong//

No comments:

Post a Comment