Tuesday, February 16, 2010

confessions of an Olympic junkie

Hi. My name is B. Strong, and I'm an Olympics junkie.

My DVR is my enabler. It allows me to feed my habit and keep my job. It also allows me to get my Olympic fix in pure form, unsullied by commercials, hockey, or Dick Button.

I notice, though, that my tastes in sports have changed along with my own body composition. In my cardio queen days, I thought that women figure skaters had ideal bodies. Now I look at (most) of the women and think, "eww." Elbows shouldn't be the widest part of a person's arm. Legs that are expected to leap and jump shouldn't look like knobby pencils.

On the flip side, I used to think that speed skaters looked oddly bottom heavy. Now I'm just in awe of their thighs. I don't covet their thighs: it's hard enough for me to buy pants as it is, thankyouverymuch. But, I sure do appreciate them from an aesthetic standpoint (the lycra helps, here), and appreciate the effort that goes into building them.

Why do I like the Olympics so much? Maybe it's because for two weeks, the mainstream media celebrates female athleticism in all of its forms. Rather than the ubiquitous Hollywood starlet body type, we get to see women who are visibly muscular. Not only that, we cheer them on, without the snide comments about looking "masculine" that trail athletes like Serena Williams.

And with that, I'm going to go catch some curling ...

b. strong //

No comments:

Post a Comment