Saturday, January 9, 2010

sign of the times


When I travel, I find myself taking pictures of street signs. Street signs say a lot about a culture. Doors, too, but that's another post.

This one, in the Cotswolds, is one of my favorites. I like to think of it as the roadside version of a horoscope: everyone can read some personal meaning into it. Especially around the New Year.

There's also something so very British about the sign. For one thing, it uses a four-syllable word, which exceeds attention span of most US drivers. We'd forget the first word before we came to the end of the second.

The US doesn't really have an analogue. The closest would probably be this:











Or maybe this:













When thinking about fitness, I much prefer the British version. It's more ... process oriented. And, it's more hopeful. Success depends less on following a specific formula (this way, not that way!) than it does on changing our priorities.

//b. strong

No comments:

Post a Comment