Saturday, January 2, 2010

at the starting line

Body baseline

weight: 156, Goal 1 is 150.

BF%: Somewhere around 18-19%, based on prior experience and an educated guesstimate. I can see ab definition, but only in the right lighting and pose. I'm certainly carrying more fat than last year at this time, when I was around 14% BF, or in the picture on the sidebar.

Bloodwork: most excellent. Ted.

Current exercise routine

A mix of CrossFit (tm?) and more traditional lifting. I've been going to the gym 3-4 days a week. A typical workout involves 3 rounds of a modified CrossFit warmup:

* Pullups. I do strict wide-grip, not kipping. Current reps are 8, 6, and 4.
* Dips. 10@ BW
* Situps. 10-12 of either Roman Chair situps, hanging leg raises, or anchored incline situps, depending on equipment availability
* Pushups. 10-12 @ BW
* Squats. 10-12 @ BW
* Back extensions. 12@BW

Then either the CrossFit workout of the day (WOD), usually scaled down to either puppies or pack, or a back, chest, or leg workout from a more traditional three-day split. (See, e.g., Krista Scott Dixon's three-day splits on www.stumptuous.com). Recently I've been trying to build in explosive lifts, both for variety and for the challenge. It's clear that I need a coach, which may be rather difficult to find around these parts.

Cardio is usually limited to whatever is in the CrossFit WOD. Sometimes I'll throw in 30 minutes of interval training on the elliptical, or 20 minutes on the erg II. I don't run: I don't like it, my hip doesn't like it, and (this is an anonymous blog, right?) my bladder doesn't like it. I do quite a bit of walking and outdoor activities (skiing, hiking), too. I also think cardio is highly overrated as a fat-loss tool, but that's a different post.

Current lifts

These are workout weights, usually 5 reps x 3 sets, not single-rep maxes.

* Bench press: 150
* Weighted dips: 25
* Weighted pullups: 20lb (1 rep)
* Clean: 95
* OH press: 80 (yeah, I know this doesn't make sense relative to cleans)
* Deadlift: 185, 3-rep max is 205
* Back squat: no clue
* OH squat: 65

Diet

Not too shabby. I don't eat a lot of junk food, but junk snacking has been creeping up a bit over the past year. (So, coincidentally, has my weight ... hmmm.) I have a weakness for Triscuits, which aren't the worst things in the world unless you eat half a box at a sitting. With peanut butter.

On the plus side, I don't eat refined carbs at meals. I thought this would be a bigger change than it was. Aside from an occasional bit of social awkwardness, I'm perfectly happy eating spaghetti sauce without pasta, salads without bread, stir-fry or curry without rice, meat without potatoes, hamburgers without buns or fries, etc.

Of all the macronutrients, protein is the one I watch most assiduously. I try to get 100g/day from lean meats, cottage cheese, etc. I fall short more often than not -- this is quite a bit of protein for "casual" dieting -- so it's something I'm going to work on in this cutting phase.

My main vices are coffee, diet soda (Fresca, to be precise, which is at least caffeine-free), and beer. Coffee I drink every day. Beer I drink every once in a while -- not even weekly -- but I do love a good IPA. I'm not going to set a goal of eliminating these vices from my diet altogether, but I WILL start by drinking at least 32 oz. of water each day.

b. strong //

1 comment: